Fort DeRussy was an Army reservation built in 1915 in order to protect Honolulu and Pearl Harbor in the US territory of Hawaii. Initially large cannons were located in two battery locations within this fort. Later on, the canons were replaced with antiaircraft guns. The Coastal Artillery was officially disbanded by the US Army on June 28, 1950. The guns of Fort DeRussy were cut up for scrap and the Fort was designated as an Armed Forces Recreation Area. Today this large, beautiful park located in Waikiki pays tribute to all branches of the United States Armed Services.
Next to the park is the high-rise hotel, Hale Koa (meaning house of the warrior), which opened in 1976 and is available only to active and retired service personnel of the uniformed services. One of the battery facilities from the original Fort was turned into the US Army Museum of Hawaii and is situated inside the park.
Take H1 east bound. H1 will turn into Kalanianaole Highway. Continue straight onto Kalanianaole and the cliffs begin after Hanauma Bay.
Ample, pay parking located in the public parking lot